Tuesday, March 22, 2005

When you leave home it doesn’t matter where you live, it ain’t home anyway!

3/22/05
4 months ago I decided to leave Virginia and move to California. I decided to drive. Big plan? Did not feel that way then. You see when you are determined nothing is impossible. SO I started packing without having a real plan just the desire to live closer to my son. I could not live with that dream any longer, had to materialize it. I got separated from him when he was 2 years old and now he is 27 years old. I knew he does not want me in the same town with him, being young and independent. I thought of going to somewhere to be close but not too close. I met my cousin in Santa Maria and loved the area. I also wanted to be away and alone. Needed time to resolve some issues in my mind. I just finished going thru a nasty divorce and 12 Judges voted against him. That takes a lot of your energy. I have this nature of FORGIVING fast and is easier for me to live and go on . Once a friend said what does it take for you to get hurt? I thought about it, my logic is if he/she knew better he/she would of not done that. SO not on purpose but out of ignorance he did that, so he/she is forgiven. Plus keeping a grudge takes a lot of energy out o that. My counselor once said so you are behaving Christ wise? I said whatever you call it. I try to prove you were wrong but forgive and forget in the end. Anyway as I was packing and thinking what to do, Dick Holmberg called! You see I was a good COBOL/IDMS programmer and as a contractor was working with dick Holmberg in couple of projects, in USMINT, IAI, Bureau of printing and engraving, place they make money in America from coins to bills. Anyway he wanted to come to Virginia to take a look at his condo in Alexandria and was wondering if he could stay with me. He just recently lost his wife on Christmas day and suddenly. She was of Hispanic background and Richard(Dick) is from Minnesota, his second marriage. I was feeling sorry for him, but one thing about him that befriended us is his resemblance to my grand pa. They both have blue eyes with a smile in it, both tall and kind of same features, thou different in character. SO at work I would go and call him Dick Holmberg and wanted to touch his tummy, as the ad in that bread company. Anyway he came over and stayed in that room I prepared for my son and only once he came over with his girlfriend(I bought this 2 bedroom condo in Reston,Virginia after my divorce) . Anyway he (dick Holmberg) found out about my plan and said that he is going to England to visit his son but will accompany me and drive the truck was planning to get to put my furniture there and also to pull my Honda with! WHAT? Did GOD send him from Heaven or what? There was no way that I could that move alone. I said God bless you Dick Holmberg(you noticed or not? Never in my life I called him Dick or Richard or Holmberg, I always call him Dick Holmberg with a music in it! SO that is how my journey started from Virginia to California, with one step as Chinese say it! So I rented a truck and 2 men to pack it and on this November 2004,on a sunny autumn day with the beautiful change of color of leaves we left Virginia. Plan was 95 south and 10 west. Maybe we went 70 and down to hit 10. First we went to New Orleans and found out we cant park anywhere since we didn’t know how to back up having a car attached to us! So the whole 3000 miles had to be planned so we don’t back up ever. One day I saw Dick Holmberg coming towards me and very worried saying I am in potential trouble! And that was when we went in front of a motel to ask their price and vacancy and found out we cant go forward for a low ceiling in front of us and cant go backwards either! I never forget his face then! We somehow managed and learned u-turn too! Next state was Louisianan and many many rivers crossing the highway, and Mississippi! Well I never thought I had to write Mississippi and here I am. Then we went to next state which was ????. Then we got to Texas and Texas and Texas. My God that state is LAAAARGE. Governor of Texas can easily lead America if he can manage such a big state. Met an old friend from 30 years ago (Kami) and talked to my niece. Then we got to Arizona. Well funny thing happened. I was raining and we stopped (this ws before we got 2 flat tire) .We asked the hotel whether they had internet and whether the movie theatre was close. You see it was my birthday and wanted to see “The Incredibles” since my son had something to do with that movie and his name was at the end of the movie, actually I wanted to see that frame the most. Anyway they had internet, but not the movie theatre. That city on the border of new Hampshire and Arizona had no movie theatre. They all would got to Arizona to see a movie. I said please call and make a reservation for us in that town in Arizona. He did and said but since it is raining the movie theater is closed!!! EXCUSE ME??? Because it rains they close the movie theater? We used to go to movies in Virginia when it rained and snowed, as best activity! Hahahahah I laughed a lot and did not believe I am in America and it is 2004!!!
Then we went to Arizona, had a small accident and went to the DESERT. Something happened to me there I fell in love with the desert! I felt I belong there, me? Who is afraid of a spider and lizards and all fell in love with the desert. I made a vow to go back and look at the sky of the desert ,maybe one day! After visiting the desert and taking the biggest cactus you could ever see and also a cotton plant which I posted its picture before. Then we got to California!! Did my dream come true? We drove and drove and after Santa Barbara things started to get beautiful. Not that Texas and Arizona were not pretty, but these small hills with the cows on the steeps and the ocean and pelicans and birds and these trees that have no trunk, small trees or big ones with no trunk, like branches coming out of the ground!! And no traffic, no rush, a lot of vineyards! Just like a painting of a famous painter! Mountains and cliffs and ocean and hills and birds and cows and horses. What else can you ask for? Ok here is the catch NO JOBS!! So I got a laptop and started writing. Now I can write my book!! Which one? Well one got hushed by the family about women in my family who put their lives at risk for cause of women. But I am going to convert this blog to a book soon. In a year I will write whatever I have to write and voila! I have to thank Dick Holmberg and they way he drove 3000 miles. I tried to drive couple of times but when the road got steep I got scared. So for the first time me and my son are in the same state ,5 hours away and my mind is at rest for the first time. Only mothers know how disoriented you get when away from you child since 2 years old. The younger the more disoriented one becomes. I am unwinding now after 26 years of worrying. I cant explain more only that it feels good to be closer to him even if I don’t see him much. I may get lucky and celebrate his first birthday after 25 years!! During the 25 years I never met him on aprils, it was june or july for 5-7 days in a year!! Add up the numbers 7x25=175? Its not 365 days yet that I have seen him in my life after he was 2 years old. Now can you guess why mostly I am out of this world?.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Roya!!
I am reading your blog right now.
A couple of general comments: (1) cant is correctly spelled as CAN'T (get it?). (2) sometimes the syntax is confusing-that is NOT a criticism, because that happens to everyone.
In the discussion of our trip, you say, "SO at work I would go and call him Dick Holmberg and wanted to touch his tummy, as the ad in that bread company. Anyway he came over and stayed in that room I prepared for my son and only once he came over with his girlfriend(I bought this 2 bedroom condo in Reston,Virginia after my divorce) . "
Roya, I have no girl friend and I had no girl friend at that time--I suspect what you meant is your SON'S girlfriend. That is not clear.
But it is an interesting story.
The state after Mississippi going west is Louisianna, then Texas. The state before Mississippi from east to west is Alabama-we went thru Montgomery, the original seat of the Confederacy. (Although, the capital of the Confederacy became Richmond, VA.)
New Hampshire is on the east coast. Why did you mention that New Hampshire is next to Arizona? Arizona is bordered on the south by Mexico, on the west by California and in the northwest by Nevada, in the north by Utah and on the east by New Mexico. (Go to Yahoo maps and put ARIZONA in the state box and click find.)
I will read more after your story of the trip, later.
I am thinking of coming out your way, probably in October. Will you still be there? Later.
Dick

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home