Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I moved, and my grand ma's house to remember


TheyLookAlike
Originally uploaded by roya parsay.

Believe it or not with help of 8 MORMONS ,some young,good hearted and kind and strong Mormon missionaries I moved to a 2 bedroom. It is a blessing. W etook a picture but did not come out on my computer o.k so I posted dick holmberg's picture remembering when he moved me from Virgina. When I was driving the truck I got sooo scared and was crying. But now its better. o.k here is the story of my grandma's house that I wrote some time before for my book.I hope you find it interesting. Also more comparisons plus clicking the header is this one, and this one and this one.


I want to describe my grand ma’s house in Tehran. It is amazing and unique. The location was at south of Iran and our house was at north. We lived in Darrous and they lived in Tir near kouche abshar. One side of the street was a public bath and in the middle dabestane Kasai(elementary school) and the other side was a vegetable market. I never went that far cause was not permitted to go alone anywhere. I lived there for a year and went to that school at 4th grade. When you get to the door there was the plaque in gold writing my uncle’s name Dr. Farhang.. that my grand ma had proudly installed it since his son went to Germany and became a heart physician! I love all my uncles they are great and my male figures in life. I lived with daee farhang and Daee Bijan there and daee houshang had married and was not living there.Anyway as you would go inside a long hallway with walls made of kahgel or khesht(mud and straw) that was changed later. Then in the yard was a small pool up to your ankles(that I would swim in it as small and low as it was). With a fountain in the middle. And next to pool was a abanbar. You see in old days they would store water in those abanbars or water storages and that’s why people had worms in their body drinking unhealthy waters. When I lived there that abanbar was never used. At the corner of the yard was a bathroom! God forbid if you had to go to bathroom in cold winter nights cause there was no heating system and you had to walk all the way to end of the yard to go to bathroom. Then there were 2 big trees chenar? And some roses in a small garden. Then you could either go upstairs or downstairs. If you go upstairs you get to rooms and under those stairs was a hollow place that my uncle Bijan was keeping some pigeons. I called them bagh baghoo for how they sound. Uncle Bijan would help me make badbadak or kite. Then when you walk downstairs first on your right was a small greenhouse with yas and jasmine flowers that everyday we would pick and I made necklesses from it. How they smelled NEVER again I found a flower smelling that good coming from the hands of my dear grand pa. There was only love in that house. Then as you step down in front of you was a room and at the right another room that was natural airconditioned,cold like you had airconditioning on. At the left hand side was the KITCHEN. THE KITCHEN. O.K I wish somebody had even one picture of this house not even one picture is available. This kitchen was dark. The sink was tall and all stone. All made of stone. I had to raise my feet to reach the faucet and the water was always cold. I was 10 then. Then 3 more steps down to even a darker place called pashouye or where you wash feet and my uncle Bijan loved that one as his own sink! It was the darkest place of that house and God knows what creatures were there. Then to you right were one step and 3 big holes in each was either coal or onion or whatever I was too scared to even step up to that place. Then 2 blue oil stoves (cheragh nafti) that the most delicious food would come out of this kitchen and those stoves everyday. Every morning my grand ma and khale shokat and Zari would all walk downstairs and get out at noon with the most delicious food and I am not kidding. I have been to Carlyle hotel in NY, to best restaurants in Swiss, but never tasted anything better than my grandma’s food. God bless her soul (maman atish as my son called her). Then upstairs had a room to your right one as my grand pas room and TV room, in the middle the samovar room and one to left as my grand ma and my room. Behind this room was a sandoghkhooneh! Whats that in English?dont know attic but always behind a room.. Between them were curtains not doors! Privacy meant nothing. But upstairs where my 2 uncles lived had doors and 2 separate rooms and private phone and also a big mehmankhane(guest room) as the third room with a nice chandelier. NO ONE while I was there went there and saw that chandlier cause everybody would go staright to my grand pa’s room (the one to the right) and very soon you could hear takhte and tass sounds(backgammon). In the middle room was a samovar with tea constantly boiling. Who was that important guest that one big room was wasted and sitting there forever I never figured. I never forget the year I lived there . Man be booye atre golhaye yas dar on khaneh arze eradat kardeam.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home